Sunday, January 23, 2011

My PaPaw

My PaPaw Watkins has entered a rehabilitation facility to gain strength and endurance back in his limbs and de-stress.  He has had health issues for years and this last time he went in the hospital to have his pacemaker batteries replaced and a 2 lead put in to help with the flow-it didn't work out.  They replaced the batteries but couldn't put the 2nd lead in due to so much scar tissue around his heart from other surgeries. They've also noticed his strength is almost non-existent (like he can't "tell" his legs to stand when sitting down).

So: he is at this place in Florida away from his wife and home.  I know he is a bit worried about it and a lot unhappy with the arrangement.  BUT-this is what will be best for his health.  He's working with a physical therapist to gain some of that strength back as well as his endurance.  He hates the food but knows it's what is good for him seeing he as CHF (chronic heart failure).  I think he'll feel loads better once he pushes himself to do the exercises and training. Hell, after his first bath there he already felt a bit better! Isn't it weird how a bath can really make or break us? I know I always feel better after a bath/shower.

I wrote him a letter today.  One thing the man loves is old school mail.  He always has, actually.  Giving him the 411 on the Raley life and letting him know it's okay to be frustrated with his situation but to work through it.  I love and miss him dearly.  I haven't seen him in almost 3 years and haven't spoken with him since before the wedding almost 9 months ago....

Part of it is totally my fault.  BUT-letters will be written (a few here and there have been exchanged over the years) and in a more "hurried" fashion because right now these words of comfort are going to help give him hope and strength in an otherwise frustrating and downtrodden situation.

So-whatever your method(s) of goodness (i.e. prayer, good juju, karma, etc.) I'd like you to think about him for a second and send a good thought/prayer/vibe/etc. his way.

Thanks =]

"Strength does not come from physical capacity.  It comes from an indomitable will."~Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.