Thursday, July 21, 2011

Pin Board Project

One of my goals for July was to make a pin board to hang all of my necklaces on. Well ladies and gents, mission pin board was a success!  SUPER easy and can be made into any shape or size wanted-I highly suggest this project for making a regular picture/memo cork board too-it's just so cute and simple!

Step 1-Purchase "blank" cork board.  At Hobby Lobby, they had the perfect size and shape for me but they also had framed ones and cork tiles that are easily cut and put together to make that shape or size you may want.

Step 2- Purchase fabric, pins, and any other detail/accessory (such as trimming, ribbons, tassels, etc.) you want to grace yours with.  I already had pins (see below) and wanted a crisp, clean and simple fabric to go with the color and relaxing motif our bedroom has.  I got a wonderful patterned white (though you can't really see the pattern in the pic) that was just the right size!  May I suggest: once you've decided the size and shape of your board, take it (or at least its dimensions) to the fabric counter.  They'll do the calculations (math was never my strong suit) for yardage and cut accordingly.

Step 3-Wrap fabric around cork board.  I selected the smooth side as my "front" and the rough side as my back, and with the aid of a heavy duty stapler (or a lot of patience if you've got a regular one!) and staple the fabric into the cork back-SUPER easy.  Though I will say if you have a regular stapler, it will try your nerves because going through fabric and the cork messed with mine A LOT-it took quite a while.  I suggest the heavy duty if possible.
This is the back-all stapled! The make the corners not stand out, I folded them over like you would when tucking in a sheet to the bed, then I stapled it!

Step 4-Attach hardware you plan on using to actually hang the board.  I used a regular picture frame piece since it's fairly small but depending on why/who you're making it for, some ribbon or fishing line would also work for this.  Once the fabric is on securely, you can iron out the wrinkles and dents if needed.

Step 5- Get your pins out and place onto board.  I had these left over pretty faux-pearl corsage pins from the wedding that I decided would look sweet with my design.  For 24 it was only $1 (thanks Hobby Lobby!) and I knew that would be more than plenty for this project. 

**Additional step:only for using these pins-Since these were corsage pins they were incredibly long.  I borrowed a pair of wire cutters from a friend and cut them way down to fit the board.  I didn't want them sticking out too much from the board, nor did I want them going through it! Using any sewing pin or corsage pin like this should require at least trimming them (unless you're cork is heavy duty).

This is it completed! The little "shadows" in this picture are the pins sticking out!

 A close up of the pins in the fabric. (I forgot to iron mine until I put them all in, haha!)

Step 6-Hang it up!  It was super easy to hang and once I had all of the pins already secured before I put it on the wall, it made hanging my necklaces a breeze! 

The finished product-hanging in out bedroom over my jewelry box and bedroom table! 

I would definitely suggest making one of these for pictures of for jewelry-so easy, cheap and a cute detail in our bedroom!  It's also a great idea to spruce up your place at the office or to give as a gift to someone.

Did you like this blog? 

If so, I'd check out Leaping Over the POND's blog on great re-vamping of her seat-stool or To share and never forget's awesome overhaul of her craft room!  I must say, both blogs are impressive and seem so cool, unique and fun!

Until next time-go make something!

1 comment:

  1. I need to do something like this - my entire jewelry collection has been sprawled out on my dresser for a year now. Normally, I use finishing nails directly on the walls so my jewelry beomes wall-art, but I was just to lazy to do that in this apartment. Yours is way cute! I love the pearl corsage pins. :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.