I've always wanted to belong to a book club, whether formal or informal. And when I went to Indiana to visit Shelley we were talking about that same type of thing and then it hit me...why can't I create the book club I so desperately want to be a part of?! So-I have started an online book club! It's via facebook so if we're friends on facebook find me and become a member (if you're not already) of the Boro Book Club. It's just a group of people with the yearning to read some good stuff!
The premise goes as such:
About a week before the 1st of the month a book or reading will be selected. This will give everyone a bit of time to get it (via online, e-readers, borrowing, or book store) and the official reading is to begin on the 1st of the month. By the 25th of the month the book/reading should be finished and then on the online forum we all discuss the book/reading, what we liked/didn't like about it and its impact on the literary world. I hope to bring about new stories to both the members and myself. I plan on making the readings broad, ranging from romance to teen drama to classics. I want all of us involved to get a firmer grasp on literature and the wonderful reads out there.
Sounds kind of fun, right? Maybe it's just because I'm a HUGE book nerd (and totally proud of it) but I'm getting really excited about it! I just hope people who are joined right now actually find interest in it and stay....
My personal goals for the club are to: 1) Keep it sustained (meaning keep people interested), 2) Read 1 book for the club and 1 book for my personal reading a month (2 books per month), and 3) Develop more love and liking for literature (easy!).
What do you think? Are you interested in this?
The first book we're reading is Truman Capote's short novel Breakfast at Tiffany's. A pretty short read, romantic, and one I've actually never read before. Mine came in the mail this morning (!!!) and I must resist the urge to tear it open and start on page one. I've got 5 more days before I can, LOL.
**Note-I find that I repeat the phrase: "Everyone has time to read a good book" more often than not. A friend of mine says she falls asleep reading and doesn't like to do it. My response was "Then you're not reading the right story." I think everyone has the potential to be just as big a book worm as I am IF they're reading the right stuff. I've read hundreds of books in my day and can safely say that there's a big handful of readings I'd never touch again. Glad to have read it, but found it either boring or worthless. Yes-life is SO very busy and for some who don't consider reading a relaxing hobby it seems daunting but it is a way to let the mind escape, the body rest, and the imagination to take flight if only for an hour a week. I find reading necessary to my life and even with Grad. School, a family, friends, a full time job, and other involvements, I make sure I find the time to indulge in Cap'n Ahab's whims of catching Moby or Harry's struggle with fighting Voldemort's demons or Allie and Noah's struggle in sustaining their love. It is necessary for me to realize and involve other realities within my own.How do you feel about a good read?







I'm so excited! Thank you so much for including me in this! :)
ReplyDeleteEeek! Yay! Glad you're excited-I'm so PUMPED!
ReplyDelete