Well-I don't think I can really progress it since I have gone in and out with working out and eating healthy for years but I'll try...
~I read an article after I got married that said the average woman gains 20 lbs after the wedding (which is usually a good sign of happiness) and usually within the first year! I thought "I don't want to be like that-I have absolutely no reason to gain that much weight-especially based on happiness-just because I am now "the Mrs."".
~So-this summer Derrick and I made 2 new friends with whom we've hung out a lot and then late summer John suggested I go running with him one day when I mentioned I'd like to run a 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles). So we did. It was hot, I didn't get too far...but it was good for me. So I kept it up until the knee started to suck. Then on October 20th I signed up with Ramona to go to the gym and have been doing so ever since. I try to do Zumba on Monday and Friday nights and other cardio (Elliptical and Treadmill) at least 2 other nights a week along side weights.
~The 1/2 marathon: 13.1 miles of hills, other runners, and intenseness that I hate, lol. Let me be clear: I HATE RUNNING...so you may be thinking: "If the girl hates running, why sign up and train for 13.1 miles of it?! She's nuts!" Well-that's exactly right. I hate running so I want to do something out of the park for it so I can mark it off of my "Bucket List". I want to do something I absolutely dread and be proud of it with pictures and my number once complete. I still have a while to go but I plan on doing a 1/2 marathon by the summer of 2011-maybe not in April when I had hoped but before the fall, damn it!
~I have set a very high goal for myself (loose 20 lbs by Jan 15) once I joined the gym to take it easy on my knee and to just plain kick my ass in gear ;even if I don't make it I know I feel better when I am taking care of myself, eating the right foods (for the most part) and drinking more water. If I don't loose that 20 I'll keep going trying to reach it and once I do, I'll just keep myself fit!
I guess what I'm saying is: my "Aha!" moment came when I realized (one random day) that I have absolutely no reason not to take care of myself. NONE. I can't blame time, children, pain, or tiredness. There's always time to throw in 30 minutes of crunches and push ups. There's no children in the picture. My knee is now being wrapped to help with the pressure and the Elliptical is wonderful for saving the pressure on it. And I'm always tired so that doesn't really count, lol. If I can schedule appointments to get my hair cut or make time to Christmas shop or take care of my clothes and teeth-then why can't I with the rest of me? So I have started and don't plan on stopping. I know life and plans will get in the way-which is good-but that's not an excuse to slack on my health.
I am constantly finding new "Aha!" moments and they make me smile. I did very well on the treadmill last night and that made me smile. I am going to sign up for a 5K at the end of January and that makes me smile. A pair of old pants are fitting me now and 2 others are so close! It's not even weight loss I'm so excited about-it's the fact that I am feeling wonderful. That's the best benefit.
**But then there are days like this that make it soooooo hard! It's okay though-I've done alright!**
(I only had 1-thankyouverymuch!)
Help keep the chin up-the holidays are hard; I'm still enjoying the goodies, sweets, and heavy-in-fat foods I'm just not eating a ton of it!
Love in all the right places,
J








No comments:
Post a Comment