**Warning: I'm expressing my own beliefs and if you find them offensive-that's unfortunate. My goal is not to offend, however it is to speak my mind.**
I am tired of ignorance.
I am tired of always hearing people regurgitate information and beliefs without thought behind them.
I am tired of always keeping my mouth closed out of respect for other opinions when others do not have the same courtesy for me and mine.
I am tired of having people make others out like bad guys or inferior simply because their thoughts do not mesh together.
I am tired of politics. I am tired of religion. I am tired of disagreement about differences.
I am tired of holding things in when they should be let out.
I am tired of thinking about others needs and well wishes when it do not seem to be reciprocated.
I am tired.
I wish for peace. I dream of peace. I hope for peace.
That is my belief, my politic. Peace.
I want freedom, laughter, enlightenment and understanding for everyone.
There are so many things I do not agree with but I do agree with personal choice, equal rights and the simplicity of empathy and understanding. To me, it does not matter.
There are always reasons (or should be) behind why someone believes what they do or acts a certain way. For example: many serial killers kill (in part) because there is a certain section in their brain where sympathy, understanding, and compassion are not present or "activated" appropriately. Now I know that may seem far-fetched for an example but after killing 15 people, many would believe this killer deserves to get the death penalty. But does s/he? In my opinion: the understanding of the people-the society-need further broadening to truly answer that question. On a personal level, I could never hold the job of knowing day-to-day that I am putting a needle in someones arm and consciously taking a life. But, in the same sense, I do not know what many of these killers do...because I do hold certain prejudices against some crimes over the other (though I know I should not) and may not give it a seconds thought. It's all about perspective and circumstance, though in many cases it should not be.
I think the biggest problem in all of this is that so many do not care to find the reasons behind the argument and instead take the issue to heart. While so many of these issues are important (rape, abortion, welfare, education) the reasoning why rape is being blamed on women's dress instead of predators behavior or why many teens feel like abortion is their only option or why so many children are having to low test scores on examinations are where the focus actually lies.
Why?
Do you know why you believe what you do? Regarding any subject: Religion, Politics, Same-Sex Marriage, Abortion, Work Ethics, Educational Setbacks, Welfare, Tax Breaks, Corporate reform...the list goes on and on.
Do you know why you believe in certain issues and not others? And the age old "because it's wrong" or "because the Bible tells me so" or "because that is what I was taught" or "because this is the only way" or "because I'm smarter than so-and-so" are all insufficient answers to me. This takes responsibility off the individual and tries to place blame on a societal function when clearly many of the functions in themselves are warped, diluted, and corrupted (a whole new issue in itself).
So my remedy? E.D.U.C.A.T.E. Learn, learn, learn. Research, get other viewpoints, read opposing and agreeing media! You've got to know all sides to make a thoughtful and just view on things.
Now I am just as guilty as the next person with taking something to heart or jumping the gun on an issue or stating my opinion when a conclusion has yet to be reached. But it's something I am working on and hope to constantly and consciously work on throughout my lifetime. There a quite a few issues I have on my plate that I really need to sit down and focus and research more why I feel/believe what I do.
One awesome example: today I posted a photo on my facebook. It sparked some conversation but what I liked about the convo. was that it was pretty peaceful, everything seemed to have thought into it and it was not just "that's mean" or "you're wrong". I had a few people on opposing sides, as is often the case with someone in my situation, but everything seemed just and decent. Which was awesome! I never mind opposing view points...as long as there is no superiority complex trying to be shown or angry rants about certain beliefs. A well placed, thought out, and equal debate on any subject works just fine for me! Calling someone ignorant or wrong out of spite, anger or confusion seems unjustified and petty...and I want us all to be better about it.
So I propose to you: really sit down and think about why you think or believe in a specific something. If you're anything like me, you've got both or more sides of so many issues that it is hard to fully invest in one position or another. But that's okay! There is no need to always "pick" a side to stay on.
The book I am currently reading "Walking on Broken Glass" by Christa Allen deals with a lead female character who is in rehab. She is involved in the A.A. program. While I don't fully agree with all of the A.A. teachings, I dowonderful things to teach individuals, in this type of life-altering setting as well as in everyday life.
Are you these three things? I know I try to be at all times though many times I fail at one or more of them.
I am not trying to come off as preachy but I just want peace, for everyone, for always...and I think one of the ways to achieve it is through understanding, education and respect for one another.
YOU dear reader, I respect you and am so very glad to know you, even in the virtual sense. Many of you have different view points (I am sure) regarding a multitude of things but I am glad we can come together in this virtual world to discuss so many issues ranging in the crucial to the mundane and still at the end of the day respect one another for having personal choices, guidance and understanding.
Thank you and please, share the love. <3







No comments:
Post a Comment