I didn't want to post my yearly goals for 2012 but I have so many I'm afraid I will forget! So here it goes to name a few. I'm sure others will crop up throughout the year but these are the main ones I keep thinking about.
1. I want to become more healthy. This includes my physical, mental and emotional well being. Starting Sunday I plan on working out again and changing a few of my eating patterns. I know I can change some of these patterns as I've done them before so that I am not too concerned with. Regarding my mental health...that may be a different story, ha ha! I officially start my thesis this semester and I'm nervous about it. Graduate school in general makes my mind feel a bit stretched but I'm thinking I can do it! Now my fragile emotional health-I have positive feelings for this year.
Granted, a new year is not the "thing" that makes decisions and makes/breaks a person. The choices and reactions to them are what do so I plan on trying to bring my dramatics and worry down quite a bit (since I have a nasty little tendency for both). These things being said, I know this will be the hardest but probably the most rewarding goal I can do for myself both this year and throughout my life. I'd really like to say that when I turn 25 I am in the best shape (in all of these categories) of my life.
2. I want to travel more! My sites are set on going to: California, Florida, New York City, Hawaii and Chicago.
Now let me go ahead and tell you right now I may only be going to possibly two (HI to see Destiny and CA for a conference) but I would like to if at all possible go to a few others. Outside of Chicago I know people we/I can room with for our stay so travel and food expenses are the main financial components. But there are also so more local places I'd like to check out that may be more reasonable both financially and for time (work and school ya know). Like travelling to Louisville, KY to see lovely Lauren for a few days, to Memphis to check out Graceland, Huntsville, AL to check out the Space museum, or Ashville, NC to check out the Biltmore mansion.
These aren't exotic and luxurious places but awesome locales I'd really like to check out. Who knows?! Maybe I'll see them all ;)
3. Get more done in school. That may sound a bit silly considering how intense I've made the GS scene out to be but in reality I need more to put on my CV (Curriculum Vitae) for future jobs.
So in April I may be going to CA for a conference regarding a paper Dr. A and I are working on. Also this summer I want to volunteer somewhere to help teach or lend a hand to a cause. And obviously, I'd really like to have at least two things published by the time I graduate. This may include my thesis, it may not. I have two projects I started on that I'd like to carry on with but they're so time consuming that they may have to wait until after Spring Break to even be looked at. I've got one year to tack more stuff to my CV but as of now it's pretty bare. We will see.
4. Take more care of my self.
Now this deviates a bit from the first goal because this is on a more superficial level (at least to start). I want to dress better. I want to try new things with my hair, my clothes, my style. I want to try to keep my nails done (even if it's just clear polish). I want to quit using excuses as to why I'm not looking professional or half-way decent when I could be. Now note: I am NOT saying I need to have my hair done, make up on, sky high heels on and a push up bra. I don't particularly have anything against those who do but I am not one of those ladies. My point here is I want to try to be better about presenting myself regardless of who I am around. I will try to keep myself happy while also putting forth the image I want to. (But please know that when I'm sick-all bets are off. I don't care who I am around, if I'm sick I will dress/look exactly how I feel, ha ha!) Alongside these things I also want to take care of myself by soaking my brain in books, movies, television, theater, operas, and ballet. I want to absorb these things best I can because they all make me so incredibly happy whilst staying hand-in-hand with the other happy things in my life (like family, friends, work, etc.) I also want to do things good for me like hiking, getting a massage, swimming and laughing. I want to take as much care of myself as possible starting NOW! (I'm already on my way because I'm blogging and getting ready to finish my first book of 2012!
5. Learn French. You know...the language. I took 3 years of it in high school and placed in the 80s out of 500 in the nation of those that took this French III test. I love French culture (especially the Parisians) and have always wanted to fluently speak, write, read it. I could read it the best, write it okay, speak it the worst. So I plan to re-start my journey with the purchasing of the Rosetta Stone French sets. They are expensive but I think worth it because not only will I be learning it but Der wants to learn it too. That way we can keep it kind of alive by speaking it to one another! Then obviously we want to go to France to try out our tongues...when we're ready, lol!
So I'll be going back to the basics (and Der from scratch) hopefully soon and maybe one day I'll write a whole blog in French! I really look forward to this.
Again-Happy 2012 bloggers! Enjoy the day, the year, the life. What an incredible journey we all take!













No comments:
Post a Comment