So today, for previous victims and for those who want to help prevent further victims, I am dedicating this blog to facts about violence against women in the family setting, information on where/how to seek help, and asking for your help in making a change.
**NOTE: This won't be a happy/cheery blog but it doesn't need to be; there is nothing happy or cheery about this type of abuse. But this is not about male bashing or making you think all partners are out to hurt you-it's about taking a stand, making those around aware of the prevalence and issues we face, and letting those who may be in these circumstances know that they are not alone.**
Some Facts
* Approximately 4.8 million intimate partner rapes and physical assaults are perpetrated against U.S. women annually, and approximately 2.9 million intimate partner physical assaults are committed against U.S. men annually. These findings suggest that intimate partner violence is a serious criminal justice and public health concern. (NVAW Survey 2000).
*Violence against women includes but is not limited to the following: 1) Physical, sexual, and psychological violence occurring in the family, including battering; sexual abuse of children in the household, dowry-related violence, marital rape, female genital mutilation and other traditional practices harmful to women, non-spousal violence, and violence related to exploitation. 2) Physical, sexual, and psychological violence occurring within the general community including rape, sexual abuse, sexual harassment and intimidation at work and educational institutions and elsewhere, trafficking in women, and forced prostitution. 3) Physical, sexual, and psychological violence perpetrated or condoned by the State, wherever it occurs.
*1 Woman is killed every 7.4 hours by an intimate partner in the United States. (FBI, 2005)
*Among women aged 15 to 44 years, violence against women accounts for more death and disability than cancer, malaria, traffic injuries, and war put together.
Does this not astound you? It makes me sick to my stomach. The worse part is: we have probably all come into contact with a victim of this type of abuse, whether we knew it or not. So I am here to take a stand against it. I am speaking out, trying to inform the masses about these issues and how they need to stop. There is enough violence in the world without intimate partners getting involved in the mix. If we push the idea of the family being the safe-haven then let us MAKE IT a safe haven!
Know the Red Flags of a Battering Personality*:
1. Quick Involvement
2. Jealousy
3. Controlling Behavior
4. Unrealistic Expectations
5. Isolation
6. Blames Others for Problems
7. Blames Others for Feelings
8. Hypersensitivity
9. Cruelty to Animals and Children
10. Playful use of Force During Sex
11. Verbal Abuse
12. Rigid Sex Roles
13. Sudden Mood Swings
14. Past Battering
15. Threats of Violence
*source: Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the project for victims of Family Violence, Fayetteville, Arkansas
Where to seek help/shelter:
1) Call the 24 hour, 7 days a week National DV hotline: http://www.thehotline.org/
2) Search for shelters and help in your area: http://www.thehotline.org/get-help/help-in-your-area/
3) Share your voice. Remember: you are not alone: http://www.thehotline.org/category/share-your-voice/
Would you like to help?
Here are a few ways how:
1) Spread this blog, and other sites you've found information from to as many people as possible. NO-I am not trying to get a huge following. I am trying to EDUCATE, EDUCATE, EDUCATE! The more people that see this and at least read about it, the better.
2) Volunteer at your local domestic violence/sexual assault shelter. It is great help, a fantastic learning experience and a good deed for all involved. There are many tasks and each city or surrounding area would greatly appreciate it!
3) Donate! I've got a sidebar set up on the right hand side for donations-these will go directly to the domestic violence/sexual assault center right in my town. The funds can be used for buying items on their wish list or can be given directly as cash-YOU decide! If you don't donate to my funds-donate to the local shelter where you're from! Donations of any kind whether in monetary or goods are all helpful and beneficial to those in need.
I hope I raised you up! I hope you realize the prevalence of these issues! I hope you want to HELP! I hope you took notice, understood that this is much more common than most realize, and that there are always ways that you can help!
November is the National Domestic Violence Awareness month so let’s get some donations/volunteering and knowledge under our belts by then!
Remember to share the love,
JR









I wish I can see more posts like this.. We all really can help!
ReplyDeleteWhat is dowry-related violence? This is a new term for me.
ReplyDelete