Alright-I'm coming clean:
I have slacked the past 2 days on my GRE studying...and on my reading and working out...BUT I am getting a bit more on track tonight. After the burgers are off the grill and we eat, I'm studying for my hour and then I think we're taking Tucker on a walk.
I have the belief that once you fall off the wagon-wipe the dust off of your jeans and climb back on. It may not be easy and falling may be long and hard...but you've got to do it if you want to succeed and to keep chuggin' on.
I find small tips in life that help me (personally) to keep on track. I also let myself have a LIFE and won't completely forbid myself something or I'll just go crazy!!
Random tips I try to succeed:
*Weight Loss
1) After I eat dinner I immediately brush my teeth. This helps me to not want to eat anything before bed so sugar and crap doesn't sit on my teeth overnight.
2) Do cardio in any way you enjoy. DO NOT run if you hate running (I HATE running)-find something else enjoyable such as walking a dog, dancing, swimming or biking through the woods. Anything you can make both enjoyable and healthy is a win/win.
3) Do not resent food-eat something you may really like (my weaknesses are donuts and ice cream) BUT do so in moderation. This goes for your health foods too-you don't want to burn out too quickly on salads and veggies thus binging on fast food and too many carbs.
4) Cut soda intake-even the diet ones. I love a good cold Dr. Pepper as much as the next person but 1 12 oz. can has approximately 150 calories and 40 g of sugar in 1 can! I think the average sugar you're supposed to have per day is 20 g for women and 36 g for men. Check details on it here and you'll see your soda and ice cream in a completely different light! That's so much to fathom. I cut all soda intake from 8th grade on and in between 8th and 9th grade I dropped from a size 12 pants to a size 4...JUST from soda cuts! Diet sodas are without the sugar and calories but there's still a bunch of unhealthy crap (I mean it's a tar colored liquid!) that you can drink in a few minutes. If you can't cut them out completely (and this goes with my don't resent food policy) then cut your consumption in 1/2. If you normally drink 2-4 sodas (diet or regular) a day, drink 1-2. Substitute a few sodas with water and I swear you'll feel a difference in your overall energy and well being.
*Studying/School
1) ENJOY what you're learning-even if it is completely boring...does that make sense, lol?! There are some subject that are just BORING but you signed up for the class so make the most of it and try to comprehend what you're learning.
2) READ READ READ READ READ! I can't and won't ever be able to stress this enough. We (as Americans) are lucky enough to have the ability at hand to learn to read and there's SO MUCH to read!! Anything you enjoy you can find something to read-music lyrics, plays, articles, history, etc. I have told a lot of people, and will continue to do so, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE not to read a book.
3)Be thankful for your knowledge-that simple. Be proud yet humble.
4) Set time aside to study or read. I am writing this blog because I needed to confess that I have slacked. I am not proud of it nor will I try to make excuses of what I've done for the past 2 days. But I will do my studying tonight before I go to bed (and I'll feel better knowing I've done it).
*Randoms
1) Find a reason no matter how small to laugh and smile.
2) SLEEP! I never feel bad for going to bed when I'm tired-ever. I get called an old lady a lot because I go to bed "early" but I sleep when I'm tired. I usually get between 7-10 hrs a night and I feel great. I don't get sick often but when I do-it doesn't take nearly as long as it would since I sleep.
3) Treat others how you want to be treated-HOWEVER- do not give anyone a reason to walk on you. You are a person, co-worker, friend, family member, NOT a door mat. As much as I love people I have grown very weary of people being toxic around me...so I've dropped them.
4) Find something you're passionate about AND DO IT! Whether it's small scale or bigger than life find something you really enjoy and soak it up like a sponge. Take your life by the balls and own it for everything it is.
This blog was mostly for me when I need a bit of inspiration and confessional for my "sins" to look on, but I hope it helps someone-the few of you reading, lol. Sometimes you just need someone to open the curtains or to be honest about things....
Love and laughter,
J







Good for you!! I'm a big believer in goals, and even though it's easy to get down on yourself for not always doing what you planned, it's better to just admit it and move forward!
ReplyDeleteI love your writing, Jordan! It's always so fun to read!
why thank you! i enjoy your blog too! so lively and energetic-you can feel your optimism flow from the page!
ReplyDeleteglad we've remained friends =]