Saturday, January 12, 2013

January Craft Time

Alright, my first craft of the new year!  I perused my Pinterest account looking for something easy and quick to make since I started my new job and don't have as much time (yet) during the evenings.  I found a few things but then saw an infinity scarf that my aunt made.  I LOVE the whole scarf trend and love to do basic sewing so I figured this would be it!

For a quicker look at how to make an infinity scarf, check out this video detailing this step-by-step.

The Infinity Scarf

What You'll Need:
-fabric in color/pattern of your liking
-matching thread
-scissors
-pins
-sewing needle
-sewing machine (optional)

*Note: for the fabric, I'd suggest getting it cut at the fabric store so you don't have to do any trimming and measuring.  I'd get 24-32 inches (a little less than a yard) per scarf. Remember: the more fabric you have the longer and bulkier the actual scarf will be.  Also, the heavier the fabric, the chunkier/bulkier the layers.  If you're looking for something Spring-y or Summer-y then I'd suggest a light jersey knit or gauzy cotton.  For Fall or Winter a good sturdy cotton or even (if you're feeling bold) wool.

I chose a cotton fabric in a nice pastel stripe to use for Spring.  It can also go with neutrals since it's a tad bit sturdier than a gauze.

Step-by-Step
1. Iron fabric.
2. Take fabric and fold long ways, face to face (or pretty side to pretty side).


3. Measure 4 inches from each side and pin.  Continue pinning length.

4 inches

Pinning

4. Sew length (you can use whatever seam allowance you like. I just used the foot pedal on my sewing machine).  Make sure you back-stitch the ends to keep them secure.
5. Turn inside out (here the seam should be inside).

(Yes I know it's uneven...but since it's to be worn and looped, I doubt anyone would notice)

6. Take both ends (the 4 inch non-sewed ends) and pin the forks seam to seam.

Fork

Seam-to-seam (pretty side to pretty side)

7. (This is where it gets weird) Next, you'll take the ends and pin face-to-face (pretty side to pretty side) and sew.  In doing so, you'll make this almost circle.  You'll leave the actual fork part unsewn (for now).  **NOTE:  The fabric bulks a bit here so make sure you're JUST sewing the edges and not any other material. Start from one corner and arch to the other.  Again, make sure to back-stitch each end to keep them secure.


See how the pins make this kind of circle?


Note that the bulk of the fabric is pulled away from the circle so that I can sew the edges.

8. Once sewn, you'll flip the edges inside and all that's left is this little pocket (fork) to hand sew and then you're DONE!

Pocket to hand sew

It's just a big ol' loop of fabric!

One loop, no wrap.

Two loops, one wrap.


After maybe 20-30 minutes you now have your very own infinity scarf!

So that's it!  I made two from a yard of this fabric so I could gauge the length and bulkiness I wanted.  I love them!

Happy crafting!

1 comment:

Powered by Blogger.