Thursday, November 1, 2012

My Meatless Month

Well well...it's finally done.  I went an entire month without eating ANY meat!

I've had a lot of questions regarding this decision...let me explain the biggest one.

WHY do this?
1.Well the main reason is that I'm coming more into animal rights and realize it's pretty hypocritical to fight for treatment only to nom nom on them afterwards.
2. I wanted to see if I could do it.
3. I wanted to see what it's all about (besides the animal treatment).

So...I did it!  It was an interesting experience.  I learned a lot!

PROS:
1. Less fast food and restaurant options for the places we normally go to.
2. (And because of #1) I realized how really limited those places are for vegetarians and vegans.
3. I wasn't eating meat and attempting to make a difference in animal treatment!
4. I had a lot of protein via beans and greens instead of meat.
5. My body didn't react badly.
6. (I think) some weight or inches were lost!
7. I learned about some substitutions for meat and other animal related foods (for example: you can replace eggs with applesauce for baked goods and there's NO taste difference)
8. I realized how much I (and many others) do not think about vegetarian and vegan options when making food for parties or special occasions.  I really need to be cognoscente of that!

CONS:
1. I found it really inconvenient.  (I know that sounds snotty but I'm being honest and realistic.)  Since there weren't really many options at fast food/restaurant locals (see PRO #1 and #2 above) and D and I are pretty busy...it was some times tough to figure out what to eat.  I had a lot of fruit smoothies and grilled cheeses, lol.
2. I did not research enough recipes. This was my fault.
3. I don't like (or haven't tried) enough veggies for this to be a full time option as of yet.
4. As Der was not going meatless for the month, financially and realistically I didn't really know how to plan our meals together when we actually were able to sit down.  Lucky for me-D was quick and when we could have meals together, he split a pizza without meat or assisted in helping me find something ;)

Overall I enjoyed it and plan on doing it again (further exploring other veggie options and researching more recipes), especially while I'm learning more about it (vegetarian history, movements, animal rights, etc.)

If you get the chance-DO IT!  Try it out, see what it's like from the other side and hell-maybe you'll keep it up!

1 comment:

  1. A lot of folks partake in meatless Monday's to cut down on their meat consumption.

    I'm actually going back to being 90% vegetarian, I'll still have fish once or twice a week because it's good for ya.. But for the most part I think being vegetarian is really good for the body.. And planet :)

    Good for you for giving it a shot, I was a veggie/vegan for 6 years.. And gave it up for a chicken wing craving. (isn't that awful!?)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.