Sunday, April 24, 2011

The "Thank You" card


Now when most people hear the term "Thank You" cards, weddings automatically pop into mind. But nay friends, they're not just for that!  When I was into Theater, I was taught to always send a "Thank You" card after an audition, whether I had got the part or not.  This lets the director (casting agent or whoever) see your name (and potentially face) again and reminds them that you're an easy and charming person to work with and were grateful for their time.  Though this is a much more traditional ideal where most people don't even do "Thank You" cards, I think there's even more of a reason to do it-who doesn't like getting real mail anymore?!

The "Thank You" card is one of the easiest and most genuine ways to say thank you without all of the hubbub of conversation and awkward Facebook posts.  "Thank You" notes are great for thanking guests who came to your wine-and-cheese party or who bought little Danny that great firetruck he's been wanting since Christmas.  From baby showers to Mexican fiestas to Wedding gifts, a "Thank You" note is both meaningful and quick in relaying your appreciation. My only caution is to limit to why you're sending.  Sending a "Thank You" card anytime someone babysits for you or every time you have a girls night out, will make each one more and more impersonal.

Now-check out the tips I've listed below of what make up this whole "Thank You" process!

1. Get a cute card.  Now I find this one of the most fun elements because there are thousands of templates out there and for every occasion!  Whether you're making your own or have a left over stack from some occasion long ago, make sure they match what you're thanking someone for! (i.e. no baby shower-type thank you for the awesome girls night out after your boyfriend broke up with you...that's just uncomfortable and rude).  Sites like etsy and tiny prints have some adorable templates (both personalized and non) for pretty cheap! There's no harm in getting a regular stack at your local WalMart, but just try to brighten them up with a clever stamp or ink color on the envelope.  This makes it stand out against the regular ol' junk mail and bills.




Source











2. Make each note personal.  If you're sending out a stack higher than the pancakes you had for breakfast, it can seem daunting and like overkill. BUT remember: you're thanking someone for something you deemed helpful, sweet, or down right awesome in some situation you both were in.  So mean it, damn it!  Making it personal should include the persons name, date you're writing it, and your signature.
3. Yet, in regards to making it personal, also make it short and to the point. Long phrases in an 5x5 card makes you not only seem desperate but also more annoying than thankful.  By this I mean-have you ever done something for someone and they've gone on and on and on about it via Facebook posts, word of mouth, and many in person thanks? Yeah...It gets a little intense and overbearing when it gets to that stage.  So simple and short.  Phrases such as "I appreciate the..." and "You helped make this experience..." and "I hope to one day return the favor..." are personal enough without being too intense.

4. Make sure you're addressing the person as an individual AND in the appropriate setting!  If you're writing a "Thank You" to a colleague, talking about getting wasted or making crude jokes are not the way you should be thanking them, even if that's what you may be thanking them for!
5. WRITE THEM OUT. I think the best "Thank You" cards are when they are hand written. This shows that in our everyday and busy lives, someone took the time to think of YOU, to sit down, grab a colorful pen, and write to tell you just how much you [gift, time, etc.] meant to them.

Example of a well written "Thank You" note:

April 24th, 2011
     Dear Jane,
I really appreciate the time you spent hand embroidering the towels you gave us at the wedding shower.  They are so adorable and fluffy!  They help bring out me and John's personal preppy style and we can't wait to hang them in our bathroom for everyone to see. I'm so glad we got to see one another and I hope to return the favor soon when we catch up again!
Love, Jordan

See? Short, simple, and sincere.

Sites like Bridella and thank-you-note also show other ways and situations in which "Thank You" cards can be used and written.

Cheers to your thank you's-because we've always got someone/something to be thankful for  =]

Love and hugs,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.