I was fortunate enough to brave the unknown to Donelson where I saw a wonderful friend Tonya P. as the lead (Tracy Turnblad) in John Water's "Hairspray" musical. If you haven't heard of it by now, you fail. Made popular in the late 1980s with Rikki Lake and Divine, it sky rocketed to a cult phenomenon (like Rocky Horror and Xanadu) that is still prevalent today (especially once Travolta donned the do for Velma Turnblad).
Photo: Hatcher and Fell Photography
Kelly and I met up for Mexican (after both having a really hard time locating the theater) and caught up on the latest while unbeknown to us, the theater parking lot was filling up-we had to park across the street! Lucky for us, I we had reserved seats so we squeezed in to the theater and planted our rumps on the fold outs. Though the STC theater was small (holding probably 100 seated-130 with standing) Kelly and I made ourselves at home reading the programs, commenting on the cast bios and the simple set design. And then...it started!
Photo: Hatcher and Fell Photography
Photo: Hatcher and Fell Photography
Photo: Hatcher and Fell Photography
It was WONDERFUL! The entire cast could sing, dance, act, and all looked the part! I found everything convincing and genuine-hard to come by in some theater! Tonya was incredible as the optimistic big girl Tracy (she had to wear a padded suit!) with a voice to match (per usual). It was very awesome to clap and roar when she bowed-I felt so proud of her!
You know it was a great show when you wake up singing this....











No comments:
Post a Comment