Monday, December 17, 2012

The Oil Cleansing Method

Okay so as of late my skin has broken out and dried out SO much.  I don't know if it's due to the screwy TN weather this year or just stress (probably both) but I'm HATING it, especially so close to graduation and pictures for the holidays.  I haven't changed any of my face products either so I'm really frustrated.

So naturally, I complained about it on the ol' Facebook and a lovely woman suggested I try the oil cleansing method.  I remember very vaguely my sister saying something about the oil method a few years ago but this woman reminded me.

-The Oil Cleansing Method-
This method uses natural oils to help balance out the oils in our skin.  "Like dissolves like". This is also a more eco-friendly way to take care of your skin and rid of the chemical products we often use to rid of acne, dry skin, grease, etc.
Depending upon your skin type (dry, oily, combination), a certain blend of oils will be combined and applied directly to the face.  Suggested oils are castor combined with olive, sunflower, or grape seed.  

For similar recipes and information, check herehere, and here.

For dry, combine more castor than the other 2:1, for oily, more other than the castor 2:1, and for combination a 1:1 ratio.  For my personal ratio I combined 1 part castor oil and 1 part olive oil.  I also have some tea tree oil to add a drop or two in for whenever I'm feeling a tad dry.  I purchased a small bottle in the travel size section of my local store to try this out for a few weeks.  I also purchased small bottles of the oil so in case it doesn't work, I don't have a ton of oil just laying around.

1) Apply approximately a quarter size about of mixed oil to palm of hand.  Rub together to make "warm", blended.
2) Apply oil directly to face.  That's right...just slather it right on there.  If you've got make-up-DO IT!  The oil should get it all off.
3) Gently rub oil in pores all over face and neck.
4) Wait about 1 minute.
5) Apply a pretty hot (but not scalding) wash cloth directly to the face (lay it over).  Leave on until cool.
6) You can rinse it and reapply a warm cloth again if you're not feeling confident.
7) After it's cool, gently wipe face and neck of all oil.

**PLEASE NOTE: I've read from many different sources and from first hand accounts that your face will go through a phase of getting zitty again.  DO NOT FRET! That's your face getting in deep and pulling the impurities from way down up and out of your skin.  Just leave them alone, keep up the method, and between 3-7 days they should leave and your skin should be back to its awesome, blissful stage...and STAY there! (at least from what I've heard and read)

I started it on Sunday and tried it out for a week.

Day 1 (Sunday)
Before the "wash": I haven't washed my face today nor have I applied anything to it since yesterday.
(You can see my T-zone is especially zitty lately)

After the "wash": My skin feels pretty silky and not dry.  It was kind of bizarre just slathering oil all over my face but it came off well and my skin feels hydrated.  Nothing else is on my face!
(I know it doesn't look different (YET!) but it feels different)

Day 2 (Monday)
Before "wash": I hadn't done a thing to my face before washing it besides getting in the shower.  It got a little wet but I dried it really well before "washing".  I did notice this morning, however, that my t-zone zits had gone down in inflammation. SCORE!
After "wash": It still feels silky smooth and the whole process is kind of relaxing. I can dig it.

Day 3 (Tuesday)
Before "wash": I put on a full face of make-up today and it went on SO well!  No flaky parts, no spotty foundation, nothing!  (Unfortunately I forgot to take a before picture...maybe next time?)
After "wash": E.V.E.R.Y bit of my make-up came off AND my face still feels amazing!

Day 4 (Wednesday)
Before "wash":  I woke up to a tiny amount of dryness on my upper lip and upper eye lids.  I also have a few zits in my eyebrow...but the zits from day 1 have gone WAY down in both size and inflammation.  I wore makeup again and it went on fine.



After "wash":  I had a bit of a hard time getting all all of mascara off (in part because I had a ton on) so I used a tad of Vaseline to finish getting it off.  Other than that it all came off and my skin feels like a baby's =]
(Ignore my hair-I just got out of the shower)

Day 5 (Thursday)
Before "wash": I've got a few more zits...I don't know if it's due to the method, my upcoming cycle, or stress.  Besides those zits my skin feels hydrated and soft.  I didn't wear any makeup today so maybe that will help out a bit too.
After "wash": Everything went well, as usual.  I added a tad of tea tree oil to my zits afterwards so the skin around it won't dry out and peel when I put on makeup.  Maybe tomorrow things will start looking better?  Maybe this is my "bad" stage and things will clear up again?

Day 6 (Friday)
Before "wash": I have broken out more BUT now I realize it's probably more due to my monthly cycle than the method.
After "wash": I actually "washed" my face in the morning instead of at night so that was different but my skin held up and didn't get dry all day (even under my makeup!) 

Day 7 (Saturday)
Before "wash":  I slept in my makeup from the night before.  I was trying not to do that but alas...I did.
After "wash": Since today was INCREDIBLY busy, I "washed" again in the morning instead of in the evening.

So yesterday, on the 8th day, did I keep it up and see any difference? YES!  I plan on using this method at least until my little bottle of the mix is gone.  After that I'll decide whether I want to go back to using a billion different products to make the "perfect" combination...and spend a small fortune. Ha! As of now, unless something horrible happens I see myself using this method.

If you use this, let me know how it goes for you!  Any problems, any awesome results.

If something bad comes about from this I'll post an update.

Happy "washing"!!

1 comment:

  1. I tried this for the 2nd time for a couple weeks and didn't love the results. :( My skin "felt" good but it wasn't clearing up. I have heard GREAT success stories though! About a month ago I got a set from L'BRI skincare and have never had clearer skin... It's literally the best stuff I've ever used. BUT bc I feel like I've tried everything, I know that everyone's skin is so different. Can't wait to hear how it continues to go! I'm all about simple, money saving strategies! :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.