Sunday, April 21, 2013

April Craft Time

My best friend is coming into town (after being gone almost 2 YEARS) soon!  That being said, this month's craft (found on Pinterest) is for her to celebrate her engagement/marriage to a WONDERFUL guy!  They like to relax with a glass of wine every now and then so I made some painted wine glass for them.  As always, this is quick, easy, and cheap!

Hand Painted "Dot" Glasses

What You'll Need:
-Some glasses (you can do tumblers, champagne flutes, shot glasses, etc. and how every many you want!)
-Assorted acrylic paints
-Q-tips OR small paint brushes
-Newspaper OR a plastic grocery bag
-Plates OR paint palette
-An oven
-Clear nail polish (optional)

Step-by-Step:
1. Wipe down glasses with a paper towel.  If you wet it, make sure the glasses are nice and dry before painting.
2. Set up work space.  Since you're dealing with paints make sure to wear not-so-nice clothes or a smock to cover up in case of spills.  Spread out your plastic bag or newspaper over your work space.


3. Select paints and place smallish amounts on plates/palette.  Make sure there is enough space between them.


4. Dip Q-tips/paint brush ends in paint.  Stipple onto glasses in whatever pattern you want.  Notice below that I placed my hand inside the glass.  This helped me turn them for easier (and smear free) application as well as prevented getting any paint that was on my hands onto the glasses.






5.  Once decorated, place glasses in the oven WITHOUT TURNING IT ON.
6.  Once securely in the oven, turn on to 325 degrees.  Let them "bake" for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes, turn oven off with glasses still in the oven to cool.  I'd say let them stay cooling for at least 1 hour.
(Please excuse my oven...it's on my Spring Cleaning list next weekend...)

7. OPTIONAL: Because these will be hand washable and are a gift, I also applied a clear coat of nail polish to my dots as an extra safety precaution to further assist in keeping the paint on the glass.
8. If you're making these for yourself, pop a bottle of your favorite beverage and drink out of your awesome glasses!  If they're a gift, wrap them up and be prepared to see a smiling face when opened.
(My finished products, pre gift wrapped)

I am VERY happy with how they turned out!  I'm sure I'll be making more of these in the future =]


Happy crafting!

1 comment:

  1. This is AWESOME!!! They look amazing!! I can't wait to try this myself!! Your tutorial is super helpful! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.