Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Baby Steps

Admitting to yourself, let alone others, that you may not know something, that you're uncomfortable, scared, uneasy, etc. is never an easy task.  So it's been suggested to take baby steps, a leap-of-faith.



I read a very interesting article where the writer speaks of admitting and admiring "I don't know" as an acceptable term and one in which should push people to grow.  (In his case he speaks of admitting no "knowledge" to a God or to specific political factions, therefore illustrating why he believes what he does-but still interesting none the less). 

I think admitting to not knowing something shows bravery-where others may lie or attempt to "know" and end up in a whirlwind catastrophe. 
I think that admitting to not knowing something shows a bit of humbleness that many think humanity lacks today.  I think admitting to being uncomfortable or scared or apprehensive or just plain paranoid is okay to do.  When our society has pushed so hard for people to not be push overs and to stand ground and be perfect, I think it's a bit refreshing to hear someone in earnest say they don't know with confidence
I don't understand lies-they serve no purpose to me. 
I think the attempt of admitting something is such a foreign concept to people, even if it's just to themselves that once done, it's a wonderful weight off the shoulders.

The difference lies in what you do about it-not knowing something is no excuse to play ignorant/naive.  Having the insight to explain that you're human and that you were not born all-knowing/fearless is necessary in rounding one out as a person and a honest soul.

Today: I have come into a situation that makes me a bit apprehensive and uncomfortable.  I still feel it gnawing at the back of my mind but I have come to the conclusion that once I admitted that I was uncomfortable and indeed a bit unsettling (which normally isn't the case), it was that much easier for me to attempt to get over it. I am usually willing to admit that I don't know something and I then chose to make the attempt to know-to understand-to do away with fears-to become more comfortable-to be a more solid me.  Today is one of those days.


It's all about baby steps.

What do you feel helps give you the "push" for a leap-of-faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.